Join us to see and learn more about how Latin American cultures use a variety of plants from the region that are featured in our global collection. We will also have food for purchase from the Tila’s Restaurante food truck and Popston popsicles.
Download the Latin America Regional Guide – with Garden map, schedule of events, and plant facts – in English or Spanish.
*Please note, schedule and demonstrations are subject to change.
La Semilla: The Cycle of Coffee
9 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Continuous Demonstrations)
Marlén from Amanecer Co. will break down the cycle by which coffee evolves from its plant form into one of the world’s most sought out commodities. She will also share personal experiences from her time abroad in Honduras and Brazil. *Coffee bottles and coffee bags will be available for purchase.
Nature Print with Plants from Latin America
10 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Continuous Demonstrations)
Houston Center for Contemporary Craft will demonstrate how to create a nature print with flower petals and leaves from plants originating from Latin America.
University of Houston Mariachi Pumas
1 p.m. (Performance)
Herbs from South of the Border
2-5 p.m. (Continuous Demonstrations)
Karen Cottingham from the Herb Society of America’s South Texas Unit will present on Latin American herbs and their traditional uses and demonstrate how they can be used at home.
Learn from home as well by viewing the our virtual lecture at any time throughout the weekend:
Indigenous Cuisine of Texas and the Americas
Adán Medrano – author of the cookbook, “Don’t Count The Tortillas: The Art Of Texas Mexican Cooking” – will discuss Texas and Mexican plants and foods, and their Indigenous cultural roots. He will also demonstrate how to cook guisado de quelitre (braised amaranth leaves) and chipotle turkey tostadas.
- Flowerpot MusicJune 21, 2021Arts & Culture
- Sow & GrowJune 21, 2021Horticulture & Gardening
- Meditation at the GardenJune 22, 2021Health & Wellness
- Drawing en Plein AirJune 26, 2021Arts & Culture
- Water WaysJune 28, 2021Nature & Conservation
- Wellness WalkJune 29, 2021Health & Wellness
- Photography Workshop: Natural AbstractionsJuly 03, 2021Arts & Culture
- Create in NatureJuly 05, 2021Arts & Culture
- Potions & ProvisionsJuly 12, 2021Horticulture & Gardening
- Birds of the BayouJuly 19, 2021Nature & Conservation
- Sow & GrowJuly 26, 2021Horticulture & Gardening
- Ecosystem AdventuresAugust 02, 2021Nature & Conservation
- Create in NatureAugust 09, 2021Arts & Culture