Because the COVID-19 virus continues to be a serious community health issue, the Houston Botanic Garden requires that all visitors consider their individual risk factors and adhere to the following safety protocols—for their own health and safety, and the health and safety of other visitors.
- Visitors 10 years or older—as well as all Garden staff and volunteers—must wear a cloth face covering (buff, bandana, or mask) over the nose and mouth at all times—outside and inside—while visiting the Garden.
- Practice social distancing—keeping at least six feet away from all other visitors not in their family or group—at all times while visiting the Garden.
- Wash or sanitize hands frequently, especially after coming into contact with any high-touch surfaces that may have been handled by other visitors.
- We request that visitors not come to the Garden if they are currently experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19, especially a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher.
- Leave flowers, plants and all other elements in the garden beds for everyone to enjoy. Do not collect or remove seeds, flowers, fruits, vegetables, plant labels, rocks, etc.
- Please stay on designated pathways and mowed grass lawns; do not enter the mulched or planted garden beds.
- While we hope you will be inspired to garden at home—please do not plant anything on the Garden property.
- The Garden is a nicotine-free environment. Cigarettes, electronic cigarettes/vapes, cigars, chewable tobacco, and similar products are not allowed on Garden property.
- Visitors may enjoy their own food in the Picnic Grove just outside the gate, or in Charlton Park next to the entrance on Park Place Blvd. No grills or fires are allowed on Garden property. No outside food or beverages are allowed inside the Garden. Food and beverages are available for purchase. Water bottle fillers are available in the Garden.
- The Garden is a family-friendly environment. Visitors wearing articles of clothing that may be taken as profane, vulgar, racist, sexist, or sexually suggestive are not allowed. Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times. Only children may wear swim suits in the Water Play at the Susan Garver Family Discovery Garden.
- Portable music players without headphones, as well as musical instruments, are prohibited.
- No soliciting.
- For their safety, please supervise children at all times.
- Bicycles, rollerblades, scooters, skateboards, hover boards, Segways, wagons, remote-controlled and motorized vehicles, ball playing, and Frisbees are not permitted. Strollers used for children and mobility scooters are permitted.
- Do not wade or swim in ponds, the bayou, or fountains.
- Firearms and other weapons are not allowed on Garden property.
- Please do not climb trees or play sports or games (unless planned and supervised by Garden personnel).
- Service animals are allowed with registration at the Welcome Pavilion; please leave pets – as well as emotional support, assistance, or companion animals – at home.
- Animals living in the Garden are wild, please do not feed or touch them. It can be harmful to them and you.
- Visitors to the Garden may be filmed and/or photographed by a Garden employee or contract photographer from time-to-time. Your attendance serves as permission for the use of your image by the Garden for promotional or archival purposes.
- Visitors are welcome to take photos and videos for personal use. Cameras with an attached flash are allowed; tripods, stand-alone flashes, other large equipment, large props, and anything that might get left in the Garden (such as balloons, confetti, streamers, etc.) are not.
- All professional photography and videography sessions – which must be scheduled between normal business hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) Monday-Friday– must be reserved in advance. A $100 fee applies and must also be paid in advance. View our professional photography policy.
- Photos and videos are not to be sold or used for any commercial purpose without advanced approval. Contact the Communications Department at 713-715-9675.
- Drones are not allowed at the Garden.
- All meetings, weddings, memorial services, or other formal or informal group event gatherings must be reserved in advance. See our Rentals page or call 713-715-9675 to make a reservation.
Visitors who choose not to comply with these rules may be asked to leave the Garden.